Lead Software Engineer - Enterprise Systems
Location: Derby, GB
Salary: £ Up to £45k
Job type: Permanent
MPEC Technology is the leading supplier of condition monitoring hardware and software to the UK railway and has helped make Britain’s railways safer and more reliable. We get to work with technology as old as mechanical signalling, right through to the latest artificial intelligence algorithms.
As a core part of the business, the enterprise development team delivers software that receives, stores and analyses data from our condition monitoring hardware. The Centrix RCM platform processes millions of data events from across the UK, Europe and North America; providing near real-time monitoring and fault alerting on a variety of railway (and non-railway) assets.
The Lead Software Engineer will work closely with the Technical Manager and key customers to define and maintain a clear strategy for existing and new product developments. As the expert in enterprise software development within the business, the role encompasses continual research and evaluation of new technologies, tools and delivery processes to provide quality and industry leading software.
Whilst strategic planning and developing customer relationships is a key part of the role, the Lead Software Engineer will also be highly competent in current enterprise software development technologies, and is responsible for making key software and infrastructure architectural decisions, and completing development items as a member of the development team.
As specialists in enteprise software development, the team also lends their expertise to other areas of the Tracsis group, which has allowed the team to expand and work across a wider range of products and business domains. This role will support and encourage these projects as they arise, whilst continuing to deliver core product developments.
- Ensure enterprise software product development is delivered to a high quality, aligned with business strategy and to the satisfaction of our customers.
- Maintain and develop relationships with key customers to strengthen our network of product ambassadors.
- Lead the Agile product delivery process within the enterprise development team.
- In conjunction with the Technical Manager; develop and maintain strategies for existing and new product development.
- Take a lead role in recruitment, training and team development for the enterprise development team.
- Maintain and develop relationships with infrastructure service, hardware and software suppliers.
- Be the technical expert for all aspects of enterprise software development.
- Develop existing and new relationships and opportunities within the Tracsis group.
Essential skills and qualities
- A passion for software development and delivery, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the business.
- Solid technical skills, with advanced experience in developing scalable Java, Spring and MySQL software systems.
- Experience in designing and managing redundant Linux server infrastructure, including network design and failure planning.
- Good understanding of Agile (specifically Scrum) methodology, continuous integration, and associated tools (e.g. JIRA, Bamboo, Confluence).
- Flexible working hours (37.5 hour week)
- Complimentary lunch
- Company bicycle scheme
- Discounted commuter rail travel
- Discounted leisure rail travel for you and a partner
- Group bonus scheme
- Contributory company pension scheme
- Company funded sports & leisure activities
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (long term service award scheme also available)
- IET or BCS membership
To apply, send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
ABSOLUTELY NO AGENCIES
Applications received from agencies will not be considered and unsolicited calls from agencies are not welcome.